In response to consultant feedback regarding the accuracy of deadlines contained in the Deadline Import function, the CollegePlannerPro team has manually reviewed deadlines for approximately 300 of the most popular colleges and universities from the 2019-2020 admission cycle import file.
Where does the deadline data come from? We source application deadline data each year from a highly reputable education industry data provider called Collegexpress (formerly Wintergreen Orchard House). The deadlines themselves are self-reported by colleges on an annual basis, and the deadline data is generally made available to us by early July.
What causes errors in deadline data? The deadlines provided to us can be incorrect for one of several reasons: (1) The deadlines were reported by the college before being officially set or confirmed, (2) The institution changed deadlines after reporting to the data collector, or (3) There was a clerical error or misinterpretation of deadline categories on the part of the individual reporting deadlines for the college.
What was reviewed? CollegePlannerPro reviewed and confirmed deadlines for the four deadline categories provided for the top 250 colleges and universities from students' "My List" of colleges on CollegePlannerPro. Those categories include: Regular Decision, Priority Deadline, Early Action, and Early Decision. The full review ultimately contained just over 300 colleges due to matching deadlines for larger university systems (For instance, all the University of California schools have the same deadlines). A full listing of colleges reviewed, as well as the specific corrections made, can be found on our blog here: https://blog.collegeplannerpro.com/blog/application-deadlines-review
How do I get the updates? The import file for the 2019-20 application cycle will be updated on a weekly basis. To make sure the latest deadlines are displayed in your account, simply re-run the import by clicking "Import 2019-20 Deadlines" from the Colleges tab. You will follow all the same steps associated with a normal deadline import. Note that, by default, only unverified deadlines will be imported into your account. Any verified deadlines will not be overwritten unless you opt to clear verified deadline indicators during the import process.
What if I find more errors? Deadline error reporting is now possible from college profile pages. When on the "Students, Deadlines & Requirements" tab of a college profile, a link to "Report as incorrect" will appear next to deadlines that are a part of the deadline import. Clicking this link will prompt you to review the importable deadline, your suggested deadline, and provide a URL as evidence of your suggested deadline's accuracy.
- If you are not seeing the "Report as incorrect" link, the deadline in question is either a custom deadline or was not part of the deadline import. Only deadlines from the import can be reported as incorrect.
- Be sure you have imported the most recent deadlines before reporting a deadline as incorrect.
- Reporting a deadline as incorrect will not automatically update the deadline in your account; you will still manually need to edit and verify the deadline.
- If your deadline correction is not accepted, we will get in touch with you to further explain.
- As errors are reported by members, CollegePlannerPro will continually update the import file. We will also update the blog post weekly with any further updates made. You can keep your account updated by following along with the blog updates and making manual edits to deadlines, or - when in doubt - by re-running the import to access the most recent set of deadlines.
Do I still need to verify deadlines? Yes, we highly recommend that consultants continue to verify each deadline for colleges on their students' "My List". Although we have done a thorough review, institutions can always change things after the fact, and for that reason, we, unfortunately, cannot guarantee that our reviewed deadlines are 100% accurate. That said, it is our hope that our efforts to review top colleges, along with the corrections submitted by our outstanding CPP member base, will together greatly improve your experience with deadlines by limiting confusion and improving overall accuracy.
How do I see the features in action? In a webinar held on Friday, September 13, we walked through the above changes and updates. You can view a recording of the webinar below: