It's no surprise, 10 out of 10 students choose to send text messages instead of sending emails. Okay, that might not be scientific, but by nature, students will gladly link their mobile phone with their account if it means less email for them. All you need to do, is to get them to take a few seconds to link their phone with their account. It's super simple! We recommend that during your initial meeting with each student, make it a priority to have them link their phone while meeting with you. That way, once they depart from the first meeting you can use the Conversation feature to send them important messages which they'll receive via text.
This also works to solve a common question you may come across, "How do I get my Students to login and use their account?" Rather than sound like a broken record demanding they log in, you now can employ the power of the Conversation to alert them when you need them to interact with their account. It's a win-win. They communicate in a way they prefer, you keep them engaged and on track. All of the information (texts and emails) are kept nice and neatly in each Student's profile. Perhaps it's a win-win-win!
Linking the Student's Smartphone with their CustomCollegePlan Account
- Have Student log in to their account
- Direct them to click the "Manage My Notifications" button from within the student account.
- In the new student version, this can be found in the profile dropdown in the upper right-hand corner:
- In the legacy student version, this button is on the Dashboard:
- From the Student's phone, text the "code" (in orange) to the activation phone number listed.
- Within a few seconds, a message will be sent from CustomCollegePlan confirming that the smartphone is linked to the Student's account. Students are encouraged to fully log out of their account, and then back in for changes to be registered.
- Again, click on Manage My Notifications, and select the options to receive text messages for Conversation and Calendar alerts
- After the phone is set up, all communication sent from your student's phone will be saved on the Conversation Module.
- It's important to note that notifications and conversation posts will come from two different phone numbers:
- Calendar Notifications (appointment reminders, scheduled meeting notifications) will come from (833) 618-9555
- While Conversation Posts will come from (213) 214-3307, please note that alternate numbers have been used in the past for Conversation posts, including (213) 444-5453 and (213) 466-0665. Student replies to any of these numbers will be delivered to the consultant.
IMPORTANT: Students may want to save the 213 phone number as a contact in their phones in order to quickly identify you (the Counselor) as the sender. This is also the number they will be texting directly to get a hold of you via the Conversations Module.
- A smartphone with text messaging capabilities
- Standard text messaging rates apply when receiving messages from CollegePlannerPro and CustomCollegePlan. These fees are completely subject to the Student's plan with their smartphone provider and are not determined or imposed by CollegePlannerPro or CustomCollegePlan.