|This article is a part of our New Member Training Guide in the College Lists section. Navigate to the next article in the series by following the link at the bottom of this article or return to the New Member Training Guide homepage here.|
Article Quick Links
- Step-by-step to importing a "Preloaded List"
- Create Your Own Custom College List
- Use College Search to Create a Custom College List
- Build a Student's Suggested Colleges List by Custom College List
“Custom College Lists” are designed to provide you with the ability to create your own lists of colleges and universities based on the groupings you decide. Perhaps you’d like to build a list of schools based on a particular degree offering, a campus setting, location, etc. Custom College Lists make it possible to maintain a library of schools and groups for your own reference. The “Custom College Lists” you create can then be used to build the Suggested Lists for your students.
There are also "Preloaded Lists" available within your account. You may import these lists and edit them to meet your needs. CollegePlannerPro will continually update the Preloaded lists as they become available.
Step-by-step to importing a "Preloaded List":
- Navigate to "Colleges Main" and from the toolbar select "Import Preloaded Lists"
- Next, select a single list or multiple.
- Click "Import Selected Lists"
- It will now appear in the middle column under the section "My Custom College Lists"
Create Your Own Custom College List:
1. Navigate to "Colleges Main" and from the toolbar select "Add New College List"
2. A new dialog window will open prompting you to name your list (it is optional to provide a list description)
3. Click the "Save Custom College List" button
4. A new dialog window, "Manage Custom List of Colleges" will open with the list builder view
5. To add colleges to your newly created custom list, select the method you'd like to search for colleges in the left-hand column. Your options are, "By name", "By list" or "By tag".
- By Name: Select the By Name and type in the name of the school you would like to add. You can also search by state by selecting the state you would like to search. This will populate a list of all of the schools in that respective state. You can limit this search by selecting a state and typing in a name. To add schools to a student’s list click the green arrow icons to the right of the respective college or university in the list.
- By List: Your Bucket of Colleges will be the default source list. You can change the source list by using the drop-down menu located on the source list in the dialog window. To add schools to a student’s list click the green arrow icons to the right of the respective college or university in the source list you’d like to add to their list. While working with a source list you may type in the name of the college using the text-based search box at the top of the list in the dialog window.
- By Tag: Select the tab By Tag and type in the Tag or Tags you choose to filter by. For example "Small School" and "Engineering". To add schools to a student’s list click the green arrow icons to the right of the respective college or university in the list that you have generated based on the Tags.
Use College Search to Create a Custom College List:
- Navigate into the College Search tool for the Colleges Main tab
- Select your search criteria
- Select your search details
- Using the star icons next to each college, select schools you'd like to add to your Custom College List. Tip: Use the star icon next to the top search bar to select all search results on the page. Please note that if there are more than 50 results, you'll need to navigate through each page to select all schools in the search results.
- Select "Create a List" under the search results
- A new dialog window, "Create Your Custom College List" will open to the right of the search results. Name your list (it is optional to provide a list description) and select save.
Build a Student's Suggested Colleges List by Custom College List
Add colleges to your student's Suggested Colleges List list by finding the saved list in the dropdown menu. Add a school by clicking the green arrow icon listed next to a college. This will move a copy of the selected college to your student's Suggested Colleges List
- Change the sort order of your Custom College Lists by dragging-and-dropping the list to the sort order of your choosing.
- Import a Preloaded List and edit this list to create your own custom list.
- Create a Custom List of colleges you plan to visit so they will be easily accessible from your mobile device while visiting the school.
- College Lists can be shared between teammates! See: Can college lists be shared with teammates?
Important note: Students do not see your Custom or Preloaded College Lists. These are tools for the counselors only, as a way to organize schools.